"The Better Part of Darkness" by Kelly Gay- Review

The Better Part of Darkness

From Goodreads.com:
Divorced mother of one, Charlie Madigan, lives in a world where the beings of heaven and hell exist among us, and they aren't the things of Sunday school lessons and Hallmark figurines. In the years since the Revelation, they've become our co-workers, neighbors, and fellow citizens.

Charlie works for ITF (Integration Task Force). It's her job to see that the continued integration of our new "friends" goes smoothly and everyone obeys the law, but when a new off-world drug is released in Underground Atlanta, her daughter is targeted, and her ex-husband makes a fateful bargain to win her back, there's nothing in heaven or earth (or hell for that matter) that Charlie won't do to set things right.


Right off the top, "The Better Part of Darkness" has every single element that I love in a Fantasy. An awesome hero/heroine who is real. Charlie Madigan isn't overly badass but badass enough that she is just rocking awesome. Her partner, Hank Williams (yes, just like the singer) is a SIREN. Yes, the sirens that have the hypnotizing voice and can make you do anything. Anything.

Another element, the awesome off-worlders. Ok, not exactly awesome characters but awesome AS characters. Jinns, Goblins, Sirens, and many others make an appearance.

Another element, Charlie's rocking supporting cast from her ITF partner, to her sister, to her daughter, Aaron, Zara, etc.

Another element, action and suspense. A perfect amount that made me want to keep my eyes glued to the page for more. ASH is a drug causing trouble to the people of Atlanta and Charlie and Hank are trying to get to the bottom of this substance, which they are sure is an off-world product.

Another element, sex. No. Let me rephrase, sexual tension. Kelly Gay, the author, was smart. There are so many fantasy/urban fantasy books on the market. Good and bad. However, too many seem to think that since sex sells, why not tell a story about the protagonist having sex and lots of it to the point that it is distracting. I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, however, I am in it for the plot. Kelly Gay kept all sexual innuendos/acts/etc at a minimum so as not to distract the reader but enough sexual tension to satisfy (pun intended? maybe) the reader.

If I wasn't already a fan of urban fantasy, this book would easily bring me over to the dark side. However, I am already a nut for the genre, so KUDOS Kelly Gay! Overall, this was such a thrilling and exciting book and I seriously can't wait to read the sequel, "The Darkest Edge of Dawn".

Two thumbs up!

Disclaimer: This book was provided by Pocket Books at no cost to give an HONEST review. Whether I purchase or am provided a book, there is no manipulation of my ability to remain unbiased. I am a reader, a lover of books. I will remain honest and true to my readers and the authors, publishers and marketing reps I review for. Ultimately, this blog is aimed at my audience and my reviews are to offer my insight and thoughts as a HOBBY reviewer.



4 comments

  1. Visiting other tour participants today. Enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you've already received this award, but I gave you one at my blog Book Bound.

    Here's the link:
    http://b00kbound.blogspot.com/2009/12/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I've heard of this one but you sold me on it! I'll definitely be looking for it now. Great review! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for saying hello! I love your comments.