Merry Christmas Time!

Some of you may or may not know some of the history of my daughter Emma. I won't go in to too many details (You can also see my other Blog here!)

Too make a long story short, Emma was born a happy, healthy normal baby until she suffered a horrific act of child abuse called "Shaken Baby Syndrome" (SBS). Emma suffered SBS with a blunt force trauma. She was in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit for one month following major brain surgery in which a portion of her brain had to be removed, part of her skull removed, a shunt placed to keep fluid off of her brain, and just overall recovery. After the month long stay, she was moved to the Neurological Rehabilitation Unit for another month in which she endured grueling physical, occupation and speech therapies. She had to learn to eat again, to sit up again, to smile, and regain all she had lost. She ended up being put on a feeding tube as she wasn't intaking enough calories and she was inhaling most of her fluids which put her at risk for pneumonia and other lung issues. She wore a helmet, a leg brace, an arm brace and had issues with her vision due to the brain damage.

Now 5 years later, she is just starting to walk, she has cerebral palsy on the left side of her body, she is cognitively delayed, speech delayed, and no longer wears a helmet after having major surgery this last July.

One issue we have is that due to her Cerebral Palsy, she can not walk very fast. Which means not enough cardio. The best way to get that heart beating is riding a bicycle! Today we were fitted for a bicycle along with several other special needs kids. These bikes are adapted for each child's different disabilities. These bikes, however, are not covered by insurance and are very expensive. We are going to do some fundraising activities so that all the children can own a bike and lead independent lives. These bikes, as I said, are expensive. However, they will last many years, to adulthood with changing a few things (seat, handle bars, etc) in the future. I am also going to call on those in the Blogosphere for help! This is going to be Emma's Christmas gift. Since I have been unemployed, I just don't have the money. I start a job at the end of November and hope I can come up with $500.

$1 will go soooo far in this quest. Let's say through the internet we raise enough to buy Emma's bike and THEN some, the left over money will go to the pot for other kids. I am brainstorming right now.

The company that makes the bikes is going to email me the estimate and a link to set up a page for Emma for donations. I am so excited. If I can get her this bike, it will be such an AMAZING gift for her. Hours upon hours of happiness. The chance to join other kids outside, to be independent, and just be happy. Most of the kids with disabilities don't get a chance to play with other kids because their free time is spent on therapies (Physical, speech, occupational), doctors, and just to do a normal activity takes much longer. They spend so much of their time working.

I just hope that when I get the link that I can ask you all to pass it around. Like I said, $1 will be sooo huge!!!! You have no idea how GRATEFUL we will be!


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




11 comments

  1. This is a wonderful idea! I'll keep an eye out for the page you set up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in! Very touching and so sorry for what you have had to endure along with Emma! What a nice thing you are also wanting to do for the other children! I will donate and post on my blog so let me know when you have the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics of your daughter. She is so pretty. I took a few minutes to look at your other blog and WOW! is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your support.

    What happened to her was tragic. She is such a wonderful beautiful child and we have been through so much together and the battle is ongoing but we will always overcome the obstacles. Emma has proven time and time again what a strong, determined and great little girl she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in to help. She is a wonderful girl and I will be happy to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll give whatever I can. If you post about the donation in this blog, then I'll be sure to see it. Hope you get a lot of donations. And it's sweet of you to think of the other children along with your's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, this is an amazing idea, I will keep any eye out for this link too. Take care, both of you!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in! And when you get the page up, I will post about it on my blog and encourage others to do the same! Let me know when it's ready! I'll be watching your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks you guys for all of you wanting to help! This means so much!

    I know we are all pinching pennies and trying to survive. That is why I decided to blog and really outreach to more people, I figure if I can reach out to as many people as possible and they can pass it on and so on and so on, then those small donations from a larger amount of people will make such a HUGE impact.

    My goal is to get $3 from 600 people. Or $2 from 900 or $1 from 1800 people.

    I can't wait til I start my new job, then I can throw my first check right into this! Yay!

    Thank you again guys!!! Means so so so so much! Word of mouth is huge.

    We are living in days of scams and so on, I want all people to know that I will NEVER see the money. The company that makes the bikes will. The website will be linked and managed by Freedom Concepts and the money will go right into Emma's account. I am also more than happy to provide Court Records to show that Emma was a victim of abuse, my news conference links, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I'll be looking for more details too. It breaks my heart every time I hear Emma's story and how much you all have been through. She is a beautiful little girl and she is so lucky to have you for her mommy. She's going to love her new bike too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get lots of support for Emma's Bike!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for saying hello! I love your comments.