Robin Williams - It's Been an Honor



I wasn't sure if I was going to write anything about Robin Williams' passing this soon but I decided to go ahead.   As many of you know, I am a huge movie, TV, music and book fan.  I've always escaped into other worlds thanks to these various forms on entertainment.  As an introvert, I become very engrossed with characters, movies, plots, etc. and I do become somewhat attached.  I've always adored Robin Williams.  When he acts- you can see he puts every bit of himself into it.  I loved Awakenings, Patch Adams, Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, Good Morning, Vietnam... shall I bother to continue?


I think it's more than obvious I am a huge fan.


When I learned of his passing.  I cried.

When I learned it was a suicide, I was crushed.  My heart hurt for Robin, his children, his widow, his close friends and family.  I hurt for all of us fans.

Somebody said it was stupid to mourn a celebrity- especially one so selfish.

EXCUSE ME?

I wrote this on my personal FB page:


"As I think about Robin Williams and his battle with his demons- mental illness & substance abuse (many end up self medicating their bipolar/manic depression), it's a reminder that mental health is important. A brilliant man lost his battle with his demons and it's a reminder, too, that celebrities don't sit on top of the world but are human beings. 
It's okay to speak up if you're depressed. The stigma and shame has to stop."

Then, I posted this on my fan page:




Then, I read about the trolls towards his daughter, Zelda.  

I became enraged and my heart broke again.

Then we learn he was in the early stages of Parkinson's. 

What we have learned the most is how he brought joy to Christopher Reeve's after his accident.  How Robin Williams went to visit the troops.  How much he gave.  How he was just a regular guy even with his mega celebrity status.  

This is an issue that we need to address.  SEVERE depression isn't about just being sad.  It's a SEVERE problem.  I went through major depression that lasted several years and I am STILL fighting being sucked underneath.  It feels like a super heavy blanket wrapped around you and each day, more and more weight is added and there are days, it takes your every last bit of will to get out of bed and to live.  It physically hurts.  It hurts to move.  It hurts to think.  I was suicidal at one point.  People say the person committing suicide is selfish- they are saying that to the survivors but what about the person who did committ suicide? I remember thinking I was helping relieve a burden.  I was only going on each day for my loved ones.  I got help just in time.  I was placed in involuntary psychiatric hold.  It was the best thing to happen to me.  I was forced to get help for myself.  

With that said- let's think of what Robin Williams gave to us:

Laughter.  Tears. Joy.  Movie nights. Mrs. Doubtfire. His presence.  His art. His over-the-top characters.  

He brought us many things and we can give him something in return- our respect.  
Respect his family.  
Respect his memory.

RIP Robin Williams- it's been an honor having you in my life.  I feel like I lost a friend.  That's what you brought to the world and to your fans.  I'm sure your family knows it but I hope they don't hear it enough- your fans love you.  Yes, I know I am using the present tense. 

Your most prolific movie quote "It's not your fault". (Good Will Hunting)

  





Follow on Bloglovin

No comments

Thank you so much for saying hello! I love your comments.