Thursday Thoughts...

I have been working on a book for 2 weeks. Generally, it will only take me a couple of days to finsih a book. It's not that this book is bad, it's actually very good but the start was slow and now it's picked up. Of course, these days are extremely busy and that brings me to some questions I was wondering about other readers.

Do you have a special place, time, etc when you are reading (especially a book you need to review)?

For myself, I read usually in the early morning after I put my daughter on the bus to school, after the house work is done, I also read during her physical, speech and music therapy hours, and then in the evening after she is asleep. When I am reading at home, I have a nice comfy chair that makes for a great reading spot.

Do you judge a book by it's cover?

It's not that I base the entire book based on it's cover. As we well know, you can have an ugly cover and have an amazing book and a beautiful cover with a book you have to choke through. However, I like a nice cover! It helps and it's what definitely makes me look at the book and pick it up in the first place! There was a good reason that Fabio was all over romance novels for many years (my mom loved him!) I must say though, historical fiction and fantasy novels have some great cover art!

How many books do you read in a week or month?

For me, it depends. Like I said above, it has taken me nearly 2 weeks to get 2/3 of the way through the book i am currently reading. I can easily read 3 to 4 books in a week BUT there are, of course, different factors that can change that number.

Once again, I want to thank all of you for all the warm well wishes you have extended towards my daughter and I. It means so much! It really does! Makes my blogging even that much better! You are all so wonderful!

I don't even LIKE the Twilight series but I LOVE the Korean covers. Makes me want to buy them just for that reason alone! LOL. Here are some pretty book covers to ogle!


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments

  1. I usually try to read at night before I fall asleep. When I feel too tired to read, I try to wake up a little earlier hoping to find time during the day. I do feel a little more pressure when I'm reading a book for review so that gives me a little push when I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my reading schedule for most weekdays:
    - Listen to audiobook in car on way to and from work.
    - Read 'car book' in mornings once I reach work until 7:24 when I need to get off my tookus and go inside. If I'm lucky, read after work while waiting for hubby to show up at his lot.
    - Read 'work book' for about half an hour at lunch.
    - Read 'home book' for half hour to an hour before bed.

    I do love pretty covers, and I am especially appreciative of those Libba Bray covers. They are so sumptuous!

    I average between 4-5 books finished a month. I wish it were more, but then I would have to give up blogging, Facebook, Twitter, and/or TV, plus talking to hubby!

    I only review for my own pleasure, not for anyone else's schedule, so I never feel pressured. I sometimes run behind on group reads, though, and I try to hurry through them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!

    I am always curious if anybody has reading rituals. Now that I think of it, my mom used to read late at night with a glass of RC Cola and a snack (usually Brach's chews, jelly beans, candy corn or popcorn). My mom was my big reading influence!

    I definitely feel pressured with review books. Although MOST of mine don't have a time frame, I still feel pressured.

    I need to get onto the audiobook roll too! LOL When I was still working, I totally had the car book and work book! My coworker and I would swap when we were done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a late night reader. My hubby is in bed by 9 pm and I am a midnight or one a.m. person. Thats my quiet reading time. I have a library that I sit in and pop up the recliner.

    I too love the Twilight Korean covers - how did you discover those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite time to read is in the morning while drinking coffee. I have an eye disease and my eyes are strongest in the a.m. hours. I used to read in the comfy chair in my bedroom, but my kitty has taken that over lately, so I'm on the couch! lol I can't read in bed, cause I fall asleep! Until recently I worked full time and by the time I could sit and read at night, I would nod off. But now that I'm not working I read during the day too sometimes, depending on what's going on. I'm not a real fast reader, so I read one book a week. I usually don't judge a book by it's cover, but it's a bonus when it has a really great one! I like reading a book that the cover doesn't give away and you figure out the connection as you read. I'm like that with titles too. For instance, The Last Bridge. The cover and title didn't mean anything until you were into the story, then it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaime,
    I LOVE the Twilight book covers! They are absolutely stunning.

    I definitely judge a book by its cover. I have probably missed out on a ton of good books because I haven't liked the cover or thought it was ugly.

    As far as my reading schedule goes, I usually read while I'm blowdrying my hair (thank goodness for book weights) and eating breakfast (at least during the workweek when I eat alone) and try to read during my lunchhour, if possible. I like to read before bedtime but that depends on when we go to bed and if my husband minds if I have the light on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for showing those covers. I love seeing foreign covers and comparing them to American ones. I got my German cover a while back and it was so interesting -- I heard from publishing people it was a great cover for Germany but would not work here!
    BTW, I read whenever and wherever I can... I'm like that Fox in the Dr. Suess book -- in bed, in the car (while my husband is driving, I mean), on a train, on a plane, in my socks...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for saying hello! I love your comments.