Changes. Changes. Changes. #NaBloPoMo



I couldn't come up with a topic on my own (again! Sigh). Once again, a writing prompt saves the day.  The question asks what would be the one thing I would change about myself.  One? Really?  Did the writing gods not notice my inability to settle on ONE thing?

This is difficult for me.  As I am pondering this question, I know it will be vague.  Maybe even generic but I will try and narrow it down a bit more.

I want to be a better person.  Generic, right? Super cliche, even.  I know, I know...  However, I feel I can have sub-categories.  Well, as I have said before, I will write whatever-I-feel-like-GOSH (Hee, I love Napoleon Dynamite way too much).

Just because I can:

Here are my sub-categories:

1.  A better mom.  I love, love, love my daughter but I have NEVER had the nurturing-mommy-instinct thing.  Never.  I am impatient.  I am selfish.  Showing my feelings has always been difficult but that is one thing that I never lack with Emma.  I shower her with love.  I have never been able to do that with my siblings, parents or exes.  However, with Emma it's so easy to show her love.  I am a terrible teacher.  I am lazy and I am making her lazy.  It's not okay.  She has disabilities and needs to be more active.  She's the sweetest firecracker ever.


2.  A better sister/aunt/cousin.  I am absolutely terrible.  I am never there for my family!  I am just not.  It's not that I don't care- I am oblivious and that's not acceptable.  I wish we were much closer and tight knit.  We had a difficult upbringing and my parents really didn't have the coping skills to deal with having nine children.  I am sad that we aren't close but I also don't reach out like I should.  We're all going through rough patches and we tend to shut down.  I have a big, beautiful family and it's like we're all ... apart.  I want. I want. I want.  That's what I keep saying.  I want.  No.  I will.
Early 80s.  Five out of Nine kids.  Picture of a picture.  Classy, I know. 
My oldest sister, my sister Steph in stripes, me in the hot pink and my two oldest nieces in front.

The following are photos from when I returned home to Kansas for my dad's funeral.  Just a small portion of us.




3.  A better friend.  Again.  See above.  I am a terrible friend and I know it.  I lost a ton of my friends due to my own inability to be a good friend.  I sit and wait and expect them to run to me. I am a taker, not a giver.  I can't be this way.  I used to be a good friend.
Halloween.  The B Team.  Like the @A-Team, only... nerdier.

Blurry photo but me and a very dear friend of mine drinking White Chocolate Cherry Martinis. Delcious! 


I will be a better mom, family member and friend.  Again.

Maybe I will then decide to date again.  Ha.  Or not.  We'll see.

7 comments

  1. I just hope that prompts save my day too some time. I am a travel blogger from India and on my way to be martyred trying to #NABloPoMo, :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh how fun! (Being a travel blogger!). It will save the day. Does me every time. LOL

      Delete
  2. These are some great goals! Though, I'm sure you're being harder on yourself than you should be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am trying. No, I really am a bad friend and sister. I am trying to not be! I think admitting it is the first step to fixing it. I hope. LOL

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound inspired to make some changes... I hope you remember to be kind to yourself in the process - it seems to me that makes it easier to be successful!

    onebreath @ nowherelife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for saying hello! I love your comments.