Monday Music: Pantera

via
Each week, I share with you my love of music and as you are well aware, my musical tastes are across the board.  However, there is one particular band that when I play their music and think about them- my heart becomes heavy with sorrow. That band is the heavy metal powerhouse, Pantera.

Nothing, nothing gives me goosebumps like Phil Anselmo's vocals paired with the guitar genius of Dimebag.  The album, "Cowboys to Hell" catapulted this band to a status of stardom.  Groove metal was fast and furious and nobody could punish a guitar like Dime.  I hold fast to that opinion.  Unfortunately, the band broke up and the dreams us fans had of them reuniting would never happen.

On December 8, 2004 one of the worst nightmares in heavy metal happened- Darrel "Dimebag" Abbott was murdered.  He was shot in cold blood in the middle of performing for the newly found band, Damageplan, after the break up of Pantera.  This shook up the heavy metal world.  The sadness us fans feel is still as strong today as it was when the news broke.

I feel such a strong connection to the band.  I cry every single time I listen to "Cemetery Gates".

I follow Dime's life partner, Rita, on Instagram and she is a woman who loved and still loves Dime to this day.  She was with him for (I believe) 20 years.  They knew each other since grade school.  She's still by his side and not wanting to let his memory die.  He's alive forever as long as we never forget the impact he made.

His anniversary is close.  I won't lie, I am in tears right now.  I have nothing prolific to say but I'd rather my favorite Metal band's music speak for me.

Darrell Dimebag Abbott 
August 20, 1966- December 8, 2004
Picture credit: Deviant Art

Getcha' Pull, brother. 



Are there any artists who bring you to tears whether it be their music, their premature death, or what could have been?


4 comments

  1. Heavy metal not really my thing but I actually don't mind some of Pantera's. Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven makes me tear up every time I listen to it. It resonated that Eric had written it from the pain of his son's death, I played it a lot after my baby girl died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tears in Heaven IS a tear jerker and even more so with relating to the passing of a child. *hugs*

      Delete
  2. The pic of Dimebag with wings was one I made a few years back, uploaded to DeviantArt. :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    ( I know this post is 2 years old, but still, better late than never :P )
    Cheers!
    http://struk66.deviantart.com/art/quot-Dimebag-quot-Forever-Rockin-146286420

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! 2 years is never too late! I am glad you came by! I hope it's okay I posted it in this post! I also corrected and gave you proper credit! I LOOOOOVE your creation. It's seriously the best tribute to him!

      Delete

Thank you so much for saying hello! I love your comments.